Tomorrow we are leaving for our beach vacation, so I wanted to do a weigh-in and document how much I’ve lost in my first six (closer to seven) weeks of Keto. I started Keto on April 16 at my highest weight ever while not being pregnant. None of my clothes fit correctly and I was down to only fitting in leggings (barely – I looked like a busted can of biscuits) and one pair of jeggings. On May 16, I checked in with 9.6 pounds lost, fitting back into my normal jeans, and I was ecstatic with the results!
Today, I’m sitting around 6.5 weeks of Keto (Monday will be the start of week 7), and I’m thrilled to share that I am down a total of:
I have to say that I would have been down more had I not ovulated and released 2 lbs of fluid. I was swollen and sore for 6 days and it took that long for the excess fluid to drain. Once I got rid of that, I started losing again. I was discouraged by this, but had to remind myself that there was nothing I could do about that. It wasn’t because I messed up or cheated, it was because PCOS is a jerk. ‘Nuff said.
I wish I had taken some “before” pictures of myself, but I just couldn’t. And I don’t know why. I LOVE seeing other people’s before and after results. They’re so inspiring. But when it came to myself, I just couldn’t do it. I hated looking at myself in pictures. But here is what I do know:
- My denim shorts fit again, and they fit so comfortably. I didn’t have to buy new denim shorts for this trip!
- My favorite t-shirts fit again, and even though I never stopped wearing them, I feel less like a grown woman trying to fit into a child’s clothes because that’s exactly what I felt like. I feel so much better. The sleeves were getting tight and now they are loose again.
- My beloved red swimsuit isn’t as tight anymore and I was able to buy the same exact suit in black, which was a huge goal of mine. So now I have two swimsuits that fit me perfectly, and I didn’t have to retire my favorite one to go up a size.
- My favorite sundresses fit again and are fitting better and better each week. One dress, in particular, I’ve had for about 10 years and it’s just a basic cotton sundress from Old Navy, but for some reason I absolutely love it. I did not want to give it up. I’m so thrilled it’s packed for the beach!
- I get heartburn less frequently, and my stomach, in general, is less bloated and less gassy! Yep, I went there. Gas pains have been a thing of the past! I wonder if gluten was the cause of all of those issues. It’s definitely not cheese because I eat my fair share of that!
- My face has experienced a lot less acne, and the acne I do get isn’t cystic anymore. My shoulders have improved a little bit but I still have a journey to go on that. Essential oils have been helping with the scarring though.
I thought Keto would be really hard for me. I thought I would hate it. To be honest, I thought it wouldn’t work and I’d fail. But it’s been surprisingly easy to stick to, and I don’t miss the bread at all. I actually have no desire to make Keto bread. I don’t need the replacement to feel like I’m making up for something. I recently made a pizza crust with coconut flour that was pretty good and I’ll definitely make it again. I have found a few little treat replacements and discovered that a little bit goes a long way. Plus, I don’t have to share with anyone… my family has their own treats. 😉
Vacation is going to be interesting for sure, but I intend to keep to Keto as much as possible and will increase my carb allotment a little bit in my Carb Manager app. There is a “weight maintenance” option I can select, and while I’m not done losing weight, I don’t feel a need to try to lose more while on vacation. The maintenance mode will increase my calories and all of my macros for vacation. I’ll also consume exogenous ketones on the trip to help. Post-vacation, I’ll reset back to weight loss mode in the app and will work toward my next goal.
After our trip, I’ll be sure to share how I handled Keto on vacation, and then I’ll have a two-month update on June 16!
Until next time…