Boy, do we need to talk.
When a year comes to an end, it usually doesn’t feel any different to me. I’m not usually one to be so excited about the change of year and what is to come, because it all feels the same. Normally I have a few fun things planned for the next year, but in all reality, it just doesn’t feel any different at all.
You’re the first year I almost don’t want to make a scrapbook for.
You are the one year that I absolutely cannot wait to leave in the dust.
I am going to PARTY on January 1, 2018 at 12:00 AM when you’re over. There are three major events that happened during your reign that not only brought me immense pain, but changed my life:
- My dear cat Vesta died in May. I knew it was coming – she was old. Back in Christmas 2016, I knew it would be our last with her, so you didn’t surprise me too much with that one. Still, it hurts. It hurts so much…
- Not long after Vesta died, I had a miracle pregnancy that abruptly ended in miscarriage. Dude, really? Over five years of waiting only to have the rug pulled out from under me, but you know what, it’s fine. There’s a point where you simply get used to your body failing, so it’s whatever.
- My dog Lily died 10 days before Christmas. Again, we knew it was on its way – she was old. But still. Two pets in one year is a bit much, don’t you think?
So yeah, I’m holding a bit of a grudge against you.
But you know what, a few good things did happen… and since I try to be an optimist, I’m going to override your bad moves with double the good ones:
- We went to Cincinnati to visit one of my best friends from college and Zoey got to make new friends with her daughters. It was so wonderful seeing them play together, ride rides together, and create new friendships. They acted like they all knew each other their whole lives and it was precious to watch.
- We went to Legoland and Disney World all in one vacation and it was amazing! The trip was everything we dreamed it would be, and we left tired, but refreshed, and so ready for the next trip to come!
- A major life change happened that I am going to be vague about because I feel like being private about it, but it was one that was needed in order to reclaim our home, our privacy, and our boundaries as a family. It was an incredibly healing change for the three of us after the year we’ve had.
- I got offered a promotion at work that I didn’t think I was ready for and almost declined, but I am so glad I accepted because it was made for me. I love what I do everyday and every challenge that comes with it. I work for the best people and the best company, and it’s such an honor and blessing to serve there. None of them read this so it’s not like I get brownie points for saying this. It’s simply the truth.
- We refinanced the house so we can do some major bathroom renovations in 2018. We thought we’d have to take out a home improvement loan or home equity line of credit and have a new monthly bill in 2018, but instead our refinance is making our monthly mortgage payment go down and we’re getting enough cash back to upgrade both bathrooms in the house without any new payments.
- My best friend Shontel had a miracle baby boy and he is someone to rejoice over! A precious gift after so many heartbreaking miscarriages – I jump for joy that she gets to snuggle him and cloth diaper his tiny booty every day.
So my dear 2017, I’m so glad you’re ending. For the first time in my life, I am so glad a year is coming to a close so I can start over and wake up on January 1, 2018 officially saying that all your shenanigans were so last year. We have some fun things planned for 2018, as well as a few hopes and dreams, and I can’t wait to share it all here.