This recipe came to be by complete accident, which I guess is how all recipes happen… but for me, it was totally a moment of “ooh, that might be good” and wanting to use up certain ingredients we already had before they went bad. I basically sacrificed my family’s well-being on this recipe since I had no idea if it was going to taste like amazingness or a complete failure.
That said, this is how this recipe was born:
- I had some cooked pasta in the freezer leftover from a meal two weeks ago. I am the world’s worst when it comes to measuring pasta for dinner. I always, always, always over-prepare and we end up with tons of leftover pasta, which is fine… unless you don’t have enough sauce to go around. Anyway, I ended up freezing what was left, sauce-less, and pulled it out of the freezer on Monday night with intention to use it on Tuesday.
- I also happened to have an entire jar of mushroom marinara sauce leftover from last Friday night (I’ll spare the details) so it needed to be used as well since it was officially on day 4 of being open.
- I had about 1/3 of a bag of mini pepperoni leftover from bagel pizza night (same Friday night).
- I had shredded Italian cheese and sliced mozzarella.
It occurred to me that I could totally take our regular old spaghetti night and turn it into pizza pasta night. This is extra cheesy, so that is what really makes this so pizza-y. Is that a word? No? Well, it is now.
Here’s what I did:
- 1 lb cooked spaghetti or pasta of choice
- 1 jar pasta sauce of choice
- Mini pepperoni (I used about 1/3 of a bag but you can add to your heart’s desire)
- 1 c. shredded Italian blend cheese
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Basil, oregano, or other favorite pizza seasonings to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the cooked pasta evenly in a 9×11 baking dish
- Spread pasta sauce on top. Add a little water to the jar and mix it up to ensure you get all the sauce out of the jar, then pour in. This will also make sure the pasta stays extra moist and doesn’t dry out too much in the baking process. Use a spaghetti spoon to mix the pasta with the sauce to make sure it’s all coated.
- Sprinkle with mini pepperoni (however much you want) and shredded cheese.
- Lay six slices of mozzarella cheese across the top of the pasta. Don’t worry, they will melt down and won’t keep their square shape!
- Sprinkle seasonings on top of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
This was so good! I’m not even going to pretend this is healthy or even PCOS-friendly, and that’s okay. This is kid-friendly and fun, and not something we’ll eat all the time, but something that is a nice, cheap, fun break from the extra healthy meals I typically prepare. And who doesn’t love those cute little mini pepperoni?!
Don’t answer that if you’re vegan or vegetarian.
Let me know if you try this one and what you think! Try it with some of your other favorite pizza toppings, like green pepper and onion!